Goodness me, May is almost over. It’s one of my favourite months of the year, not only because it’s my birthday and I love any excuse to celebrate, but I love that it brings us another month closer to summer, my favourite season.
May brings us longer, warmer days to enjoy and a chance to bare, if we dare, our legs and arms after a long winter hiatus! I find people more open to chatting and smiling when the weather warms up.
But, let’s say you’ve woken up not quite filled with the joys of high spring like me, here are 5 tips to immediately improve your day.
• Before you get out of bed, make a list in a notebook of 5 things you are grateful for today. It might be the birdsong you hear on waking, or the comfortable bed you sleep in. It might be that you can glimpse the sun shining through your curtains. It might be knowing that you are moments away from a cup of tea. Keep this up for 4 weeks either in the morning or as you fall asleep and notice how your life changes.
• Spend 5 minutes in mindful meditation. Sit comfortably upright or lie on a blanket on the floor. Gently close your eyes and focus your full attention on your breath. Breathe in fully and feel the sensation of your chest and belly rising. Release your breath slowly and fully feel your chest and belly return to resting. Your mind will wander, this is normal, simply bring your focus back to your breath. Continue in this way for 5 minutes or so.
• Play your very favourite song from your feel good playlist . . . you do have one, don’t you?!
• Choose something from your wardrobe that makes you feel good, something that has positive, happy memories – obviously for me that means Best Knickers. Always!
• Give someone a truly heartfelt compliment today. It might be the barista at your local coffee shop who makes coffee just the way you like it. It might be a colleague who always seems to smile easily. It might be your child who did as you asked without having to nag! See what happens when you compliment them. Begin like this, ‘I really like it that you . . .’